Offender with history of sexual assaults against elderly women out in Vancouver, not monitored by GPS tracker – Possibility
March 3, 2016
WATCH: The release of a high-risk sex offender named James Burrows is raising new questions about community safety in Vancouver. As Jill Bennett reports, Burrows was released without any GPS tracker.
Vancouver Police are warning the public about a high-risk offender.
Fifty-six-year-old James Burrows is a federal offender who was convicted of four sexual assaults against women between the ages of 72 and 93 years-old.
He has been released from custody on statutory release and will be living in Vancouver.
Police say Burrows is a high risk for violent and sexual re-offending. In particular, he poses a risk of significant harm to the safety of elderly women.
Cst. Brian Montague with Vancouver Police says their officers are contacting care homes about Burrows. They are ensuring the staff have information and photos and are aware of the concerns raised about the offender.
“He is someone who is of concern to us,” says Montague. “He’s been involved in multiple sexual assaults.”
Montague says Burrows has been released in Vancouver, but doesn’t have any ties to the city.
He says Burrows may return to Ontario, but until that happens, they want the public to know about possible dangers.
“We want people to know who he is. We want people to know what he looks like. We want people to avoid him,” Montague says. “If they do see him breaching one of his conditions, we want them to pick up the phone and call us right away.”
Burrows is bound by the terms of his statutory release, which include the following conditions:
• Not to associate with any person known to be involved in criminal activity
• Not to consume or possess alcohol or illegal drugs
• Not to enter any liquor store, beer and/or wine store, or business whose primary purpose is the sale or distribution of alcoholic beverages
• No contact directly or indirectly with any of his victims or their families
• Immediately report any attempts to initiate intimate sexual and non-sexual relationships with females to his parole supervisor
• Not to purchase, acquire, possess, or access pornography or sexually explicit material in any form or type of media
Montague says Burrows has a history of breaching his long-term supervision orders.
To view Shenzhen Yiwen Technology Co., Ltd.’s GPS tracker and GPS tracking software, please visit YIWENGPS.EN.ALIBABA.COM